Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Jennifer Scull: Christmas Gift Tower

Everyone has their own story, which is interesting to hear. But sometimes you run across folks who are especially intriguing. That's what I discovered about Jennifer Scull as I got to know her better in preparation for this month's Guest Designer position.

About her husband:
"I am married to my college sweetheart, David, who was a professional golfer for over 20 years and then left to go into ministry. He now is the director of a camp, as well as Director of Youth Ministries for our church district. This encompasses about six states."

About her kids:
"We have three sons, ages 19, 21, and 22. Our youngest will be heading to Indiana Wesleyan University to study children's ministry, while the older two attend Kent State University. They share a house and study zoology & biotechnology respectively."

As a family:
"We are a family of geeky nerds, although the guys are also into extreme sports, so that evens them out a bit. ;) We can quote Star Trek, Dr. Who, and LOTR. Big Bang Theory and The Walking Dead are some of our ab fab fave TV shows.

And herself:
"I have a tattoo and plan to get another one soon. I also love to watch UFC, but don't get to as often as I used to since our cable lineup changed. I also went to school at Oxford in England for a while. Yep, I'm a strange mixed bag of tricks! :)"

See what I mean? Then add stamping to the mix, and you end up with some pretty awesome projects from this self-proclaimed "geeky nerd."

Even her projects can be a delightful "mixed bag of tricks." Jennifer created a gorgeous card for this week's post using 11203MC Christmas Tags Clear Set (drawn by artist Trudy Sjolander):


Just like Jennifer's home in Chardon, Ohio, which was built in 1861, her Christmas gift tower card brings one back in time:

 
As you can see, it's quite different from the other projects we've shown you so far.

"I love to browse blogs by my favorite crafters, Etsy, and Pinterest, so those ideas do tend to stay in the back of my mind," says Jennifer. "But I am one of those people who really has no idea whatsoever what my project is going to look like in the end. It's as much a surprise to me as to anyone else!"

"Oftentimes I am inspired by the papers I use or some of the vintage items I plan to add to a project," she explains. I'm not sure if the ivory lace is old or new, but it's a lovely accent:


"[This card] took me about three or four hours, but part of that is because I am a verrrrrry slow crafter," she explains. "But it stems from my idea that crafting for me is a special way to relax and enjoy. It's therapeutic for me, so I don't like to rush. It's rare that I finish any project in less than an hour. But that's okay by me."

In light of Jennifer's comment, it seems fitting that she used the Joy Square image (2610F in wood mounted) for the tag:


Did you notice the multi-layered poinsettia, sparkly rhinestones, and washi tape "ribbon" on the bottom gift:


From bottom to top, this card radiates holiday joy:


For more information about Jennifer's creation, hop over to her blog. She's also hosting a BLOG CANDY drawing for 11203MC Christmas Tags Clear Set, and you can get the details in her post!

10 comments:

Sue D said...

Love this shaped card and all the special details. I visited Jennifer's blog and want to say Hello to Jackie and thanks for all you do and for having guest designers.

Katie said...

Great project!! Love the present stack, so well done! Love the bows and trim, and the tag look awesome! Great job. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

terriavidreader (IN-USA) said...

Jennifer is a delight, and so are you for the blog candy chance! Thanks to both of you!

Denise Bryant said...

Love visiting Jennifer's blog (she says hi to Jackie by the way...). Beautiful project!

Regina Hamilton said...

I really liked Jennifer's blog (she says to say hi to Jackie, so hi). That's a really cute card.

True :) said...

Beautiful project! Love how you colored the tag. Makes it look like something from days gone by. :)

Rhonda Miller said...

What a fun card. I love the shape and those tags are so great.

Mary-Anne V said...

wonderful little details on this project...hello to Jackie BTW!

Blogger said...

Sports betting system earn +$3,624 PROFIT last week...

Z-Code System winning picks and predictions for NFL, NBA, MLB & NHL!

Blogger said...

BlueHost is the best hosting company for any hosting plans you need.