Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Jennifer Scull: Coffee Time

When I first introduced Jennifer Scull as our Guest Designer for August, her penchant for coffee was pretty obvious.

"I don't eat while I craft, but you can always find me with a cup of coffee nearby," she says. "It must be flavored and decaf. Of course I love the coffee themed stamps–Coffee Time and My Friend Ronnie Coffee #1 & #2 Clear Sets. No explanation needed...

"Nancy Baier's sets always bring a peaceful feeling when I see and create with them. Every set of hers is a favorite!" states Jennifer. 

So it seems fitting that we end her Sunday gigs with us by featuring another java-inspired project, using 11145MC Coffee Time Clear Set (drawn by artist Nancy Baier):


Here's the beautiful card that Jennifer made:


One of the questions I asked Jennifer was whether there was anything about her stamping that she wanted to improve. "It's hard to narrow it down to just one area of my crafting, as it seems that I see so many areas for improvement. I am horrid with Copic markers and would love to do better with them. I just need to take the time to practice with them, which I never seem to do."

As you can see, she didn't have to worry about coloring images this time:


Doesn't that main image look cool? It's reminiscent of the chalkboards in coffee houses, which I thought was a brilliant technique to use for this card.

"Stamping is all about having fun and letting go. Play play play," suggests Jennifer. "Use little goodies you find around your house to add some whimsy to your projects. You never know when that belt loop off a pair of shorts headed to the trash bin will be perfect on a masculine card or a tea bag tag from this morning's cupppa could be added to a card for a neighbor. Save a postage stamp or piece of plastic packaging to add to your newest craft creation."

I'm not sure if the die-cut plastic swirl peeking from beneath the pretty flower below was made from a reclaimed, but it certainly could be:
 

You may recall Jennifer's love for all things vintage, which this card definitely reflects. Wouldn't it be neat if these were buttons from her Grandma's sewing basket:


I'm just making that part up, but it's fun to imagine!

Besides another button (tied with a bit of twine) and distressed paper edges, she added some sparkly new bling, as well:


Once again, everything comes together to form Jennifer's gorgeous creation:


She also has some words of wisdom to offer. "Stay true to who you are as an artist. You can always learn and develop more creative talent by practice, but don't ever try to copy anyone else," she advises.

"Only you can be you. Take bits and pieces that you like from other artists you admire, and use that to help you develop who you are. Be proud of who you are."

Bravo! Well said. :-)

* * *

I'd love it if you'd help me thank Jennifer for being our amazing Inky Guest Designer this month. Just leave a comment at the end of this post with a message to her. We'll have one more project from her to show you on Tuesday, but today is our "official" farewell for now.

Your note will also enter you in a BLOG CANDY giveaway. On Wednesday, August 28th, I'll randomly choose the winner for 11145MC Coffee Time Clear Set. I'll post the lucky person's name here on the blog, so please check back to see if you've won!

8 comments:

Jennifer Scull said...

thank you so much, Jackie, for allowing me to be a part of the Inky Antics family this month! I have had so much fun! everyone has been just as nice as can be. :)

Sue D said...

Fantastic card Jennifer! I like all the special details and the chalkboard technique. Thanks for all the crafting advice too.

stamping sue said...

Jennifer your chalkboard technique coffee card is wonderful. chalkboard technique is one of my favorite techniques right now. you can add a little color on top of the chalkboard tech. with chalks and mica inks for some more interest.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

hana jones said...

love your coffee card ....my hubby is the same way about coffee he has to have a cup near by ...

Beverly S. said...

Thanks Jennifer for all your awesome card samples this month. I especially loved your coffee one this time....so cool. :) I too love the flavored coffees and creamers. I joke I can't function in the mornings until I've had my coffee. :) Thanks again for sharing your talent with all of us at the Inky Antics blog. :)

Mary-Anne V said...

Its been wonderful seeing Jennifer's projects...loved the chalkboard look on this card.

Rhonda Miller said...

What a fantastic card. Thank you Jennifer for all the inspiration.

Joyce Clark Frank said...

I have just discovered your blog and so enjoyed it. I have now added a lot of good ideas for my card making. My favorite are the pears and verses.
http://joycesloveoflife.blogspot.com