Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Diane Zechman: Garden Party

"I started stamping in 1986 with a handful of stamps, an embossing inkpad, gold embossing powder, a heat tool, and some markers. I embossed a cute image on a notecard but didn’t have a clue what to do next," remembers Diane Zechman.

"So everything was shoved into a shoebox until the year 2000 when I was invited to a stamping workshop and it all snowballed from there! Through the internet I taught myself some elements of design and many techniques. I have been actively rubber stamping and paper-crafting ever since."

And, boy, has she ever! During September, I cannot wait to show you some of those design elements and techniques that Diane referred to above. I'm just thrilled to introduce her as this month's Inky Guest Designer:


Diane has lived in the rolling hills of northeastern Pennsylvania ever since she and her husband were married 28 years ago.  They have two daughters, one who was married last fall and one who is a senior in college (who is also planning her wedding for next year). They also have a very spoiled dog!

For her first project, Diane chose 11177MC Garden Party Clear Set (drawn by artist Nancy Baier):


"I have several favorite stamping techniques that I like to do," Diane says, "but one that I keep coming back to is paper piecing. I love the fun look of piecing patterned papers into select areas of the design rather than coloring it in."

Take a look at the beautiful paper-pieced tablecloth in the Garden Party image (0560K in wood mounted):


Doesn't that plaid paper look like real fabric on the table? I've always liked paper piecing on cards myself, too, and I think the effect is fantastic in this example!

Diane says that layering a slightly larger teal border beneath the main image was “too much teal,” so she die cut a layer the same size and offset it instead.

A classic fishtail banner for the sentiment, along with few coordinating pearls, were the perfect complement:


Check out the wonderful results:


Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black - Tsukineko

Paper: Regal Rose and Bermuda Bay - SU! , Vintage Bliss - Simple Stories, White

Accessories: Labels 3 Nestabilities - Spellbinders, Markers - Copic, Brown LePen - Marvy, Adhesive, Pearls

* * *

Would you like the chance to win your very own 11177MC Garden Party Clear Set? Just leave a comment at the end of this post. Tell us what year YOU started stamping, and please also help me welcome Diane Zechman as our Inky Guest Designer, to be entered in a BLOG CANDY giveaway.

On Wednesday, September 4th, I'll randomly choose the winner for the same clear set that Diane used above and post that person's name...so please check back to see if you've won!

16 comments:

stamping sue said...

Diane - WOW! beautiful card! your coloring looks wonderful and the paper piecing on the table cloth is great.
if I remember I started stamping back in 1993 or 94. I saw stamping on clothes on a Carol Duval show..that's how I got started.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Kristen V said...

What a beautiful card and I just love the colors. My daughter was getting ready to leave for college and I knew I wanted to make something special for her. While picking out supplies to make her a scrapbook, I thought how special it would be to make cards as a way to say hello, miss you, and I'm proud of you from across the miles. Well my art bins are multiplying because I am hooked and love stamping with all the endless possibilities! I've found something I enjoy plus it helps me cope with the house being so quiet. I just started and am having a wonderful time. :D

Denise Bryant said...

Great card! Love the paper piecing ideas!
I started stamping when my daughter was in preschool! I went to a demo at a Hallmark store and thought it looked like fun.... that was about 1986! My daughter is 30 now!

guilinger2 said...

Welcome Diane! I started stamping around 1999. I have more supplies than I do time to use them. Some people might call me a hoarder, but I prefer to think of myself as a collector!

Diana N. said...

Great card Diane! Perfect stamp to use for a Labor Day picnic!

Katie said...

Welcome and great card!! Love your paper-pieced table cloth and the stamped scene as well. I started stamping around 4 years ago, 2009. I had been going to The Paper Source a lot because I was really absorbed in the whole letterpress world and giving gifts of nice stationary. Well they had stamps there but not a hummingbird that I wanted to gift to my mom with some stationary as part of her present. I then found out that I have a local stamp store and was just amazed at all of the wood stamps. I started going to make and takes and taking classes and was hooked. Thanks for sharing your work this month!!

Katie B.

Beverly S. said...

Great card, Diane....sooo pretty. :) I've been stamping a LONG time and I have the stamps to prove it. Wink! :)

Sue D said...

Welcome Diane! Lovely card--I like the offset teal layer and the paper pieced table cloth. I had a few rubber stamps that I would decorate envelopes with but didn't really start stamping until I went to a stamping party also in the year 2000.

Michele I said...

that is so cute love all the colors. I started stamping about 5 years ago.

Michele I said...

Diane welcome to the group. I can not wait to see what things you come up with.

Mindy said...

The card is incredible! Diane, you never crease to amaze me :-)...I love following your blog because it inspires me. I fall in love with each stamp set and just wish I could add it to my collection; one day I will financially be able to. I am a newer stampee :-), began creating cards a couple years ago thanks to my dear friend who was a SU member...but moved in to fun stampers. This stamp is on my I'm dreaming list, hee hee. Thank you

Michele (mitchygitchygoomy) said...

Hey, sweet friend, this "hobby":) has led you to many wonderful places and people to share your giftedness, and you are a great sharer. Congrats. Love knowing you and watching what you do. Beautiful card. I hear you enjoyed a real life lovely picnic this weekend,too:) Hugs

Scrappin' Diva said...

This is a beautiful card. I too like to paper pierce items too. I started stamping back in 1996. I thought I'd try to make some cards to sell to earn extra money for university. It didn't pan out that well since my friend and I were accepted as a vendor but was put on a waiting list. We never had the chance to sell our cards and school soon took all of our time.

The Other Diane said...

Hey Diane, You are such a great talent and I love your paper piecing. Congrats on another accomplishment!

Jennifer Scull said...

what a beautiful card made with Nancy's set. the paper piecing is so much fun!
enjoy being a guest designer this month! :)

Susie said...

Diane, I smiled reading your early beginnings. I remember walking by stamp stores and sometimes even going in ~ thinking, "I'd like to do this one day." I'm so glad you heard your calling *smiling*

I love paper piecing too, and this was the perfect technique for this adorable image!