Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Taylor Usry: Party Birdy

As the Social Media Manager for Crafter’s Companion, Taylor Usry works full-time from her home in southern Virginia. That means she coordinates their Design Teams and manages their Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram accounts, in addition to overseeing the blogs for all of their brands (including Spectrum Noir).

"We have offices in the UK and California," she says, "and I am lucky enough to occasionally travel to both of them!"

With such a busy schedule, she still agreed to be our Inky Guest Designer for October...and I'm just tickled about that! Please help me welcome Taylor Usry, social media expert and talented stamper:


For her first project, Taylor chose to work with 11172MC Party Birdy HoneyPOP Clear Set (drawn by artist Tammy DeYoung):


"I really got in to crafting as a way to deal with my bipolar diagnosis–it’s a great way for me to focus on something when other things feel overwhelming for me," explains Taylor. "I often forget that the end goal of crafting is NOT to have the most followers, or get the most views for a card. Instead, it’s about making something you love to bring a smile to someone’s face."

And that's definitely what she did with this adorable card. I just had to grin when I first saw it:
 

"Never compare yourself to another crafter," she suggests. "We all have moments or weakness and self-doubt. Everyone is talented in their own right, and this hobby should be about having fun."

I agree, and it's also about sharing ideas. Taylor is a self-described "avid colorist," and I appreciated hearing how she created the background behind the birdy:


"I started by lightly outlining him using LG2. Then I added dots of the other colors listed until I was satisfied. Finally, I colored over the background area with LG2 again."

Doesn't it look neat? To make the entire card, here's the scoop:

Inks: IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dye Ink (Tuxedo Black, Peanut Brittle)

Other Supplies: Ultra Smooth Premium White Cardstock (Crafter’s Companion US), Spectrum Noir alcohol pens (colors listed below), Country Drive patterned paper (Echo Park), Bling (Eyelet Outlet), foam tape or dimensional dots

1. Cut cardstock and patterned paper pieces to size.

2. On white cardstock, stamp bird image with Memento™ Dye Ink (Tuxedo Black). Color as desired with Spectrum Noir pens (bird: BT1, BT2, BT4; hat: CT4, GB5, OR1, BG2; balloon: CT4, GB5, OR1; background LG1, LG2, LG3, LG4, LG5). Fussy cut when completed.

3. Add patterned paper pieces to cardstock base. Adhere colored image on foam/dimensional dots.

4. Stamp sentiment directly on to card base using Memento™ Dye Ink (Peanut Brittle).

5. Assemble card as desired, adding bling. (Finished card is 4 ¼’ x 5 ½”.)

 * * *

Would you like the chance to win your very own 11172MC Party Birdy HoneyPOP Clear Set? Leave a comment at the end of this post with a "hello" to Taylor, and you'll be entered in a BLOG CANDY giveaway.

On Wednesday, October 9th, I'll randomly choose the winner for the same clear set that Taylor used above and post that person's name...so please check back to see if you've won!

13 comments:

terriavidreader (IN-USA) said...

Looks like a lovely set of images, and a lovely card too.

stamping sue said...

what a fun birthday honey pop set. Taylor you created a wonderful card and your coloring is perfect. thanks for sharing.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

beautiful card Taylor!

diane (cookiestamper) said...

Congrats, Taylor! I love the sweet layout of your card!

Sue D said...

Welcome and hello to Taylor--I already visit her blog. Wonderful card and I like your coloring tips.

Krissy said...

OMG! This is just so stinkin' cute! Taylor is SUPER talented! What a great stamp set and what a fabulous artist!

Glennis said...

Lovely card - I popped over from Taylor's blog to see how it was made.

Kristen V said...

Welcome! Your card is so beautiful and I love, love the colors you used.

Naghma said...

Beautiful card, Taylor! I love your work.

Tammy C said...

Very "tweet" card, Taylor.

My Dear! said...

Hi Tayor! I just got my first Spectrum Noir pens and love that you gave all the colors you used. I can't wait to get started using them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Katie said...

Love this card! Love your coloring of that cute bird! And the layout and gems on the edge are great too. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Jennifer Scull said...

welcome, Taylor! love the fun feel to this card! just so very happy with the cute bird! :)