Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Kim O'Connell: Eat Dessert First

Each of our Inky Guest Designers has her own distinctive stamping style to share with us, which provides wonderful inspiration...and I think you'll find that this month's featured stamper is no exception!

I'm delighted to introduce you to a very talented lady, Kim O'Connell:


Kim lives about 45 minutes north of Boston with her husband of 13 years. "[He] tolerates my stamping addiction," she says playfully.

In addition, she has an 11-year-old daughter, "who has inherited my creative gene [and]...has her own blog. I also have a 9-year-old son, who is obsessed with football" as well as an English yellow lab named Calvin.

"Here is my strategy for making a card," shares Kim. "I start with the image I want to use, and then I search for a sketch that will work with the image."

For today's card, she selected the pie-eating turkey image in 10918MC Gobbles Turkey Clear Set (drawn by artist Tammy DeYoung):


"I have a Pinterest board where I pin sketches that I like, so that board is my go-to place for inspiration. Next, I choose the patterned paper and cardstock colors I am going to use, and then I color my image based on those paper choices," she says.

The result? A charming card like this:


"I LOVE to color with Copics, and so I am drawn to images that I can color," Kim remarks. "I like the images to take center stage, so I tend not to overly embellish my cards."

If we take a closer look at the colored part, you'll see exactly what Kim means:
 

Her shading and blending is fantastic, and the stippled dots around the turkey really add dimension. And, of course, the stamp itself is too funny!

 * * *

Would you like the chance to win your own 10918MC Gobbles Turkey Clear Set? Please leave a comment at the end of this post to help me welcome Kim as our Guest Designer for November, and you'll be entered in a BLOG CANDY giveaway.

On Wednesday, November 6th, I'll randomly choose the winner for the same clear set that Kim used above and post that person's name...so please check back to see if you've won!

17 comments:

Anita said...

Kim's cards are always amazing! Beautiful coloring and I love the layout.

diane (cookiestamper) said...

Congrats, Kim! Your coloring is perfect!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

beautiful coloring! I love the bold color

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Kim this is so adorable! Fabulous coloring and the image is so adorable.

Sue from Oregon said...

Wow, what eye catching colors on this card! So rich! Makes me smile this Sunday morning!

Sue D said...

Welcome Kim and love the depth of your coloring.

Tammy C said...

Great job, Kim! I need to get more practice coloring with Copics.

beaverphyllis said...

Love your card, Kim! Such a cute turkey!

Mary-Anne V said...

Love seeing Kim's creations so a big hello and thank you to you Kim! Love your colouring and clean design on this card.

Unknown said...

Great layout and coloring....Funny how a real turkey is kinda ugly, but cartoony ones are so darn cute!
Laura Holt
[Google will list me as "unknown.]

Crraftymama said...

That's always been my moto, eat dessert first. Kim's coloring and the way she puts her cards together is very inspirational.

Crraftymama said...

That's always been my moto, eat dessert first. Kim's coloring and the way she puts her cards together is very inspirational.

designermc said...

Kim, your card is so fun and colorful. I love the turkey image.
Congrats on your GDT.
Nancy

Katie said...

Such a cute card! Love your bright coloring, such a happy stamp! :) Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

stamping sue said...

what a fun thanksgiving stamp set!
Kim your coloring is perfection.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Scull said...

oh my gosh, what a cute card and stamp set! so wonderfully colored, too!
welcome, Kim! :)

Blogger said...

Quantum Binary Signals

Professional trading signals sent to your mobile phone every day.

Start following our trades right now & gain up to 270% a day.