Friday, December 20, 2013

In Honor of Daisy

As I did earlier this year with Bo, today I'm postponing our regular Friday Funnies to talk about our sweet Daisy:


She has bladder cancer, which has reached the end stage. This afternoon we have an appointment at the vet, where we will have to say goodbye to her.

One of the hardest parts is that she has looked pretty normal on the outside, except when she goes to the bathroom (and then it's obvious how far her disease has progressed). I shot this video only two weeks ago:


We've been blessed to have her a lot longer than originally anticipated, though. She was diagnosed at in October 2012 (at 12 1/2 years old then), and we were told she would likely be with us for only 7-9 months.


Daisy is one of the smartest and most adorable dogs I've known...and, of course, I'm not biased at all! In her prime, she was an amazing Frisbee catcher. This photo from last summer shows her following Steve as he cleaned up the yard, while she carried her favorite toy:


We'll miss her dearly and mourn the loss of Daisy, but we feel fortunate to have known her and our memories will make us smile. I like this boy's reasoning about dogs (please click on the article to enlarge it):


I wish you warm thoughts, Inky friends, as you recall spending time with your own pet(s), whether they are with you now or have been part of your life in the past. Thank you for letting me tell you a little about ours. 

11 comments:

Jennifer Scull said...

oh my goodness, I am getting teary just sitting here typing. I am more sorry than words can convey.... how I wish you didn't have to go through this. how I wish Daisy didn't have to go through this. can't even imagine the sadness and sorrow you are experiencing right now...

I am giving you the absolute biggest hug I can possibly send through cyberspace..... hope you can feel it. give one to Daisy for me to. we'll be thinking of you and saying prayers.

Susie said...

I understand all of this, having lost my daughter's Golden last February. I was just looking at some photos I took last winter of her catching snow, just like your Daisy. Sending you a big hug. It's not easy losing such a faithful friend.

Renee M said...

She is such a cutie and looks like a puffy snowball herself in the adorable video. Am hoping y'all are comforted by the sweet memories of her and the unconditional love. Am sorry this has been such a hard year for y'all with the pups, but am glad y'all have had each other and lots of good times.

Jennifer Scull said...

just checking back to see how you are doing..... wanted you to know I'm thinking about you. big hugey hugs to you....you aren't alone going through this.

Tammy C said...

Hope you are comforted in knowing that Daisy lived a good long life with you & Steve. Hugs.

Indy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a furry friend. I am so glad you shared some of your fond memories of Daisy. May those memories help you through the sadness. Hugs going your way!

Jackie Wamhoff said...

I wanted to thank each and every one of you very much for your thoughtful, warm comments. Our dear girl is at rest now, and although it will take a while for things to settle down for us, we're comforted in knowing that you understand how we feel. You're the best, and we are grateful. :-)

Denise Bryant said...

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I too have been through many pet losses. Never an easy thing, but knowing she had a loving family and good care that you provided for her must be very comforting to you.

Linda R. said...

Oh Jackie, I'm so very sorry. Please take some comfort in the wonderful memories you have. You were blessed to have her in your life for a while....isn't it amazing the joy and comfort they bring? One day at a time....

Sue D said...

So sorry--will be thinking of you.

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Denise, Linda, and Sue D, thank you, too! My hairdresser said she isn't getting any more pets because "all they do is break your heart," which actually made me laugh...because then she added, "Well, maybe after we're retired."

I think that's why the Winnie the Pooh quote is so touching. It's worth the sadness, just to have been with her and also to have those memories of her. :-)