Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday Stamping With Nancy McClelland: Owl I Need

Nancy McClelland has been married to her husband, Bill, for twenty years. They met at their twenty-year high school reunion and got married just six months later.
 
They each have two grown children plus seven grandchildren together. Now that they're empty nesters, they've got two furry children that run their lives, Brutus the St. Bernard and Harley the Yorkie.
 
Although the feathered trio in 10974SC Owl Family Clear Set (drawn by artist Ronnie Walter) is too small to represent Nancy's clan, that single owl image would make a perfect "I love you" card for her husband:
 

"I have these googly eyes in my stash that I thought would look so cute on this owl," shares Nancy. "They have these fun eye lashes and eye shadow, so I planned my card totally around them."

"I wanted to feature a window card, so I picked out a few papers and a Spellbinders die that would frame my image."

Here is Nancy's delightful creation:
 

The papers are from We R Memory Keepers' Anthologie collection, and the die is part of Spellbinders' Eyelet Circles set.

"You can see there is a wood grain paper on the inside of this card to add a background for the owl," she explains. "I typically leave my cards blank on the inside to that they can be used for any occasion, but [in this case] I needed something for the image to mount on."
 

This side view shows how owl was fussy-cut and then popped up on foam tape:


The foam tape gives extra dimension for the cut-out image, which shows through the round window on the front of the card:
 

Nancy used Copic markers (E31, E33, E37, Y17, Y19, Y26, G03, G07, E27) to color the owl, and she added glitter to its wings, along with bling on the die-cut circle.

Additional bling adorns the sentiment panel and flower centers on the patterned paper, and the ribbon (which was custom colored using Copic Various inks) provides a lovely finishing touch:
 

I'd say that her project ended up being "owl-dorable," wouldn't you agree? Thanks for visiting with us today, Inky friends!

7 comments:

stamping sue said...

Totally owl-some!!!!
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Tammy C said...

Oh, I am loving owls right now! The woodgrain paper is the perfect touch.

Karen said...

Lots of movement, texture, and great layout!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Owl-dorable for sure! Love the eyes!

Sue D said...

Very cute! Love those eyes and the wood grain background for the owl.

Jackie Wamhoff said...

You're owl-ways so funny, Stamping Sue and Debbie. ;-) I'm glad you like them, Tammy C, Karen, and Sue D. Thank you for taking the time to comment, ladies!

Jennifer Scull said...

what a fun set! I have a 'thing' for owls so I'm always on the lookout for new stamps with them. love the googly eyes on this guy! so much fun! :)