Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"Try It Different" Tuesday: Bird & Duck Clear Set

Now that the pond past our back yard is no longer frozen and it's possible the weather may turn warm in Minnesota before July, I'm inspired to share some lovely cards that carry the promise of spring with them!
 
Let's start with this beautiful one, where the main image is stamped on vellum using a Graphite Black Brilliance Ink Pad and colored on the reverse side with colored pencils:
 
 
I love how vibrant the colors appear on the vellum. If you'd like to try this technique, make sure to lay down a fairly heavy layer of colored pencil to give it a rich, saturated look.
 
Not in the mood to color...or wanting to make a super quick card? This one-ink design takes advantage of pretty patterned paper to provide a foundation for the main image:

 
Last but not least, this nesting bird was heat embossed with white powder, which acts as a resist for the watercolors:
 
 
Inky artist Nancy Baier used 11221MC Bird & Duck Clear Set from her Scissor-Cut Scenes collection to make all three of today's projects:
 

Do you think that you'd enjoy having this stamp set, too? Just leave a comment to let us know, and you'll be entered in our BLOG CANDY drawing. On Sunday, May 4th, I'll randomly choose the winner and post the lucky person's name here on the blog, so please check back to see if you've won!

6 comments:

Sue D said...

Wonderful examples with this set. My fave is the first one with vellum. I will have to try this technique.

Jennifer Scull said...

all of these are so lovely, but I think my fave is the last one with the white. I really want to try playing with my new gelatos and some of Nancy's newest stamp sets. I think they would go well with the watercolor look. always so many fun things to do with Inky Antics stamps! :)

y'all rock! have a great week!

stamping sue said...

I like the one that is white embossed then colored. I've used vellum before but never thought to color with color pencils. I'll have to give that a try.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

Wow, I love the vellum and colored pencil idea. And the white embossing powder and watercolor is beautiful. Great cards and techniques. Love this designer. And would love to own this stamp set too. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Celise McLaughlin said...

I have not tried pencils on vellum, so I shall. Wish I could send a little of the low country warmth your way... But shortly I'll be wishing you would send some cool down here.

Denise Bryant said...

Beautiful card samples! I love how vivid the colors are on the vellum!