Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday Funnies: Waffle Iron Day

According to my secret sources, this Sunday will be Waffle Iron Day. Did you know that you can make a surprising number of foods using a waffle iron?

For instance, I've heard of cooking bacon in the waffle iron...but what about eggs:


Wouldn't those be tasty served with a waffled donut:


For lunch, you could try a W.I.H.D. (Waffle Iron Hot Dog):


And follow it up with waffly s'mores:


One of my favorite examples is macaroni and cheese a la waffle iron:


The above recipe was developed by an out-of-the-box thinker who has a waffle iron cookbook coming out later this summer.

Of course, you can read about what to make in waffle irons or their history. Or you can enjoy a few waffle-related jokes. (And not the unseemly kind, the scary existence of which I discovered during my research efforts.)

This cartoon brings new meaning to the phrase "L'Eggo my Eggo":


Did you know what kind of food can't make up its mind? Yep, you guessed it.


Did you hear a couple of years ago that the famous syrup company, Torani (who is known for their flavoring syrups, sauces, and blended drink bases that are often used at coffee houses), was planning to launch a "Chicken 'N Waffles" flavored syrup?

Apparently it turned out to be an April Fool's Day joke. Then, due to "unprecedented demand," they actually did release it several months later as a limited edition item. Alas, it's no longer available, although I'm not really sure that's a bad thing!

Last, but not least, here's a tangential joke:


Maybe it's time to dust off our waffle iron, which I haven't used in ages. Do YOU plan to make some waffles this weekend, Inky friends?

5 comments:

Celise McLaughlin said...

Waffles sounds like a terrific idea. I bought some yummy sausage links this week and waffles would be perfect for Sunday breakfast. Thanks!

Sue D said...

I like to fix waffles when I don't know what to fix for dinner. Then I freeze the leftovers to pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast.

Jackie Wamhoff said...

Celise: My DH was out of town last weekend and I didn't want to make them for myself, but I think maybe we'll have Independence Day waffles. :-)

Sue: What a great idea! I'm usually too much of a piggy to have leftovers, but maybe I can plan ahead and make extras.

Carol L said...

This is such a funny post, and I can't stop laughing! I wonder who could possibly want to cool off with a pine cone? Bwahaha!

Linda R. said...

Brought back memories of my mom's waffles. yumm!