Tuesday, June 3, 2014

"Try It Different" Tuesday: Bug Eyed Clear Set

When I think of June, several things come to mind: warmer weather, summer vacation for kids, grilling out, fishing, and bugs, to name a few.
 
Now if we're talking about the latter and specifically mentioning mosquitoes, I start swatting at the imaginary ones in the air and run for cover. (Their bites leave big hives on my skin that last for more than a week. Does this happen to you?)
 
But other bugs can bring a smile to my face, especially if they're the stamping kind. Take this praying mantis, for example:
 
 
How cute is he! Our little friend is part of Trudy Sjolander's 11227MC Bug Eyed Clear Set:
 
 
She included several different sentiments, so these fun creatures can be used for a variety of card making occasions. Here's another example from Trudy:
 
 
I couldn't resist whipping up a 4" x 4" mini card with that silly fly guy (along with a matching envelope made with the Envelope Punch Board):
 
 
Since the image was too small to use with an Action Wobbles spring, I substituted with a 3/8" wide strip of Clear Cardstock (about 1" long), scored at 1/4" and 1/2":
 
 
This side view shows the dimension created by using the scored piece of Clear Cardstock:
 
 
It doesn't work exactly like an Action Wobbles spring, but it does mimic the movement somewhat, as you can see:
 
 
Next time, I think I'll reduce the width by 1/8", just so the strip is a bit more flexible.
 
Do you have other ideas for how to use this stamp set? Leave a comment to tell me which image or saying you plan to use first from the set, and you'll be entered in our BLOG CANDY drawing to win the set.
 
On Sunday, June 8th, I'll randomly choose the winner and post the lucky person's name here on the blog, so please check back to see if you've won!

12 comments:

Theresa said...

I think these cards and this stamp set are SOOOO CUTE! I really don't have any new ideas because I like what you have done with it! I think mine would be a case of copy and re-do!! :)

stamping sue said...

I think the fly would work great on a slider card with the flying by to say hi saying.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Scull said...

this set is super cute! love what you did with the card you've made.

gosh, that praying mantis has so many possibilities for friends in the church community.... lots of great scriptures come to mind to use with it to make fun cards that also encourage.

hope you are having a great week!

Celise McLaughlin said...

I like the Here's looking at you sentiment. I would use an eyeglass die and sit the fly on top. Love the clear card stock idea.

Diana N. said...

I think I could use the sentiments in lots of different ways. "Caught a bug" would make a humorous get well card, if you had the image of a VW beetle.

Denise Bryant said...

I love that cute bee! I'd stamp it in a jar and use the "Caught a bug" saying!

Katie said...

Love the love bug sentiment, would definitely use that one for my sisters kids! And the little flying bug is so cute. Love the last card idea with the acetate holding him up, very cool! Thank you for sharing.

Katie B.

Shayla said...

I love the clear card stock idea. These stamps are cute and I think this praying mantis has lots of possibilities.

Sue D said...

I think this would be a great set for our church card ministry for get well cards and thinking of you cards with the Flyin' by to say Hi! sentiment.

Cheryl Baker said...

I would love to put a little graduation cap on the fly. Time flys and now it is time to watch you soar. Congrats on your Graduation

Mary-Anne V said...

If I got this set in my hands I would use the Here's looking at you sentiment since my son is graduating from Elementary school in 2 weeks! He has done an amazing job and yes we will be looking at him as he moves on to bigger and greater things. Love the fun sentiments in this set!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

I can never get enough of my Inky Antics stamps. I think I would use the Mantis for a Father's Day card....Maybe here's looking at you, DAD!