Tuesday, July 22, 2014

"Try It Different" Tuesday: Paper Piecing

A couple of weeks ago, when I posted a bunch of cute Benton cards, I completely forgot to include this one (which was actually the inspiration for that post's theme, no less!):


It was made by Mary-Anne Venginickal, who had emailed last month to show it to me. She kindly explained the reason she made it, and what her steps were:

My Dad is always on the go and, even though he is in his 70s, he can never just sit still. So, for Father's Day, it would be nice to see him just relax! This adorable image from Inky Antics was the perfect choice. Isn't that bear enjoying all those warm bubbles so adorable! I used both Memento and Hero Arts inks on this card.

I stamped the image on a piece of white card stock and then positioned it in the opening of the PTI Polaroid die. I also used a light blue colour pencil to give a faint blue colour to the bubbles. I finished off this part by adding some Glossy Accents to a few of the bubbles.

I paper pieced the tub and then just coloured in the legs with Bic Mark It markers. Then, using the cut-out tub, I lined up my stamp and stamped on the Polaroid die so I could line up the images and have the bubbles on the floor.

Since the bubbles on the die were blue due to the patterned paper, I used a white gel pen to lighten them up. The fun sentiment also came with this set and was stamped on to the punched circles. I added a punched yellow heart and pierced around the edge of the circle with a pin to give some detail to the sentiment circle panel.

Bravo to Mary-Anne for creating such a delightful card! It also got me thinking that we haven't done much with paper piecing, even though it's a technique that's simple to do and yields wonderful results.

That brings me to this week's card on the main Inky site, which is a great example of this fun design element:

Michelle Pearson also cleverly added printed papers to the various elements of this turtle image from 10976MC Flower Turtle Clear Set (drawn by artist Tammy DeYoung), in her charming decorated gift cylinder (aka, a recycled Crystal Light container):

If you click on the photo for a close-up view, you can see how she used three different papers to "color" the image, in addition to the designer paper base.

While critters make wonderful paper-pieced projects, you can also play with other objects, such as the flowers and sun in 11159MC Swirly Sunshine & Flower Clear Set (drawn by artist Trudy Sjolander):

Last but not least, these girls' outfits are perfect for turning paper into "fabric":


For the above card, Michelle used 11023MC Hattie's Girlfriends Clear Set (drawn by artist Hattie Lace):

 
Have you done much with paper piecing yourselves, Inky friends? Would you like to experiment using this set? If so, leave a comment to let me know, and you'll be entered in our BLOG CANDY drawing to win it.
 
On Sunday, July 27th, I'll randomly choose the winner and post the lucky person's name here on the blog, so please check back to see if you've won!

7 comments:

stamping sue said...

yes, paper piecing is one of my go to techniques. just did a paper pieced mermaid this past weekend. what fun samples you showed here on your blog.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Diana N. said...

I do use paper piecing from time to time. I like to stamp cupcakes on patterned papers. I stamp the lower portion (where the cupcake paper is)on one paper and stamp the frosting on a contrasting paper.

Sue D said...

Love to paper piece. Great examples today using this technique. Don't put me in for the blog candy since I already have this cute set ;)

Linda R. said...

I love paper piecing. I use it on many, if not most of my cards. It always seems to add that extra "something" my cards need. And while it may seem daunting at the beginning of a card, they usually come together quite nicely!

Mary-Anne V said...

Thank you so much for featuring my card...it was really fun to ink it up and send it to my Dad. I love to paper piece since I find it is a great way to cover large areas instead of colouring. It really give a unique look to any image.

Jennifer Scull said...

what a precious stamp set! I love to paper piece, but don't do it quite as much now as I used to since some of the tinier pieces are hard for me to cut with my shaky hands. big pieces are easy peasy though, so I tend to stick with those.

Blogger said...

QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

Professional trading signals sent to your cell phone daily.

Start following our trades NOW & gain up to 270% a day.