Tuesday, October 21, 2014

"Try It Different" Tuesday: Colored Pencils Over Alcohol Markers & Share Your Thoughts Congrats

When I demo the colored pencil blending technique at shows, I often tell people about how I like to use two or three different shades of the same color (applying and then blending each color separately) because it adds depth and richness to the stamped image.

Starting with an alcohol marker base and then layering colored pencil over the top can achieve a similar, lovely effect, as shown in this week's card on the main Inky website:


Michelle Pearson created a bunch of Halloween treats using this trick! You can see how she starts with her stamped images (four pumpkin kitties from Cube-0207, Cat 'n Jack Cube) and colors it with Copic markers:
 
Then she layers colored pencils on top, which makes a huge difference in the images' appearance:

Here's one of those mischievous kitties shown on an altered notepad, also colored using the same technique:

And, just for fun, she used a darker palette of colored pencils over the Copic base, layered onto a Zentangled panel on the final project:


In case you're wondering, Michelle used Copic markers B60, C1, T4, Y38, Y17, E00, YG03, along with a variety of Prismacolor pencils for her frightfully fun cards.

Finally, on a different note, congrats to Tammy C, whose name was drawn randomly from these blog candy entries.

Tammy C said...
Not really a technique but I'd like to see some cute "gift" items. I make a lot of little goodie type stamping projects for my pre-school class as small gifts. I've done the cute lip balm one before and the clear pillow boxes. Would love to see more like that.
October 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM .

Delete
(Tammy C, please email me with your address by October 31st to claim your secret prize.)

Thank you very much to everyone who shared your ideas for future "Try It Different" blog posts. We sure appreciate your input and look forward to implementing as many of these as we can in the future!

4 comments:

stamping sue said...

I don't have any alcohol markers but sounds like a unique technique. I DO like my prisma color pencils and use them all the time.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Sue D said...

Great coloring technique and congrats to Tammy.

Tammy C said...

Yay! Thanks for the blog candy! I always use the colored pencils alone, but now I will try it on top of markers. Thanks for the idea!

Katie said...

Great cards!! I especially like the last card with the four cat images and the zentangle inbetween. Such a neat look! Great job. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.